Thursday, February 19, 2015


Frenching the light housings.
Been a good while getting back to posting anything on this blog,but I have been making progress. I had had these Nerf bars for a good while now. they are made of billit aluminum and were a little too tall. I cut 2 upper holes off and polished them down a bit. they look alot better and bldend well with the lower body
The tail lights are from a 59 Cadillac and are "frenched" into the lower pan. I had to use a 3- 5/8" hole saw to make the initial cut,and a lot of filing and shaping to get "that" certain look I when going for. Welding was a long process due to the curves and shape,didn't want to warp the body,as the body metal was thinner than the light housings.
I found the light housings on "Speedway" they weren't cheap but were a time saver.Being a dumb ass,I forgot that I had a  sheet metal curving tool.It would have saved me a few bucks,by making them myself. they would have been of thinner metal though cause the tool can only round out up to 18-20 gauge and the Speed way housing were 14-16,much thicker,heavier material.
The third brake light is a Hagan product.It's an led unit,and when its finished the lense will be flush with the body and look like part of it. It get sanded down the same time as when the body gets blocked off,making a super smooth fit. coll huh?
The third brake light I started by centering the whole thing up on the roof line and centering it up on the trunk/rear window.Used the provided template,marked and cut out. Used a drill to drill a few starting points and a a saw and file to finish the hole. You have to be careful doing this cause you want the lense to fit nice and tight,with minimal gaps.
Masking tape works well when you are trying to keep straight lines.Just be careful to run measurements to make sure Nothing is perfect,not even when it looks good and true.Chances are it won't be.,believe me.

I cut 2 of the top holes out which left 3. 
1959 Cadillac Tailights

8" third brake light.About 3/4 " wide

Inside of third brake housing. Had to modify to fit contour

Had to cut a 3  5//8" hole to work on fitting.